Walking What I’m Talking

A Bumpy Start

My hopes were high that I would launch out of the starting gate, with great success on my mission this week, which was to focus on mission.  Mission is chapter 1 of Parenting in Christ: Treasures for Parenting from Jesus. Essentially, it’s about preaching the gospel clearly in the home, especially to your kids.

Gentle Christian Parenting - Living it Out

So here was the plan

Print off & post the focus verse of the week:
“For you are saved by grace through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God’s gift — not from works, so that no one can boast” (Ephesians 2:8-9).

Sunday – Talk about the gospel

Monday –  Daddy shares his testimony

Tuesday –  Mom shares her testimony

Wednesday – Talk about fruit of the gospel and resting in Christ.
– The fruit of the Spirit is “love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, gentleness, self-control” (Galatians 5:22-23)

Thursday – Warning about preachers of the false gospels
“I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel; which is really not another; only there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ” (Galatians 1:6-7).

Talk about false gospels – doubt, fear, prosperity
Its fruit is “idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these” (Galatians 5:20-21).

Friday – sharing our experiences with missions with the kids

Saturday – talk about how they can live and share Christ with others

It was all written up & ready to be followed. But it was also Thanksgiving week, with family in town, shopping to do, and my first #GivingTuesday fundraiser to launch in my new role as Executive Director of Finally Family Homes.  Did I mention I made all of Thanksgiving dinner, have a 3 month old, and my husband had a minor, but activity limiting surgery the day before?

So I more like sputtered and tripped and stumbled out of the gate over all of life’s busyness.  But how apropos, because it all starts with grace. And grace, God’s desire for your good is intimately related to His mercy.  In fact, the verses preceding those most famous words on grace in Ephesians 2 tell us that God “being rich in mercy .. made us alive together with Christ” (4-5). God’s goodness isn’t thwarted by our failures.

So here I am, in the middle of the second week and quite behind my original plan. I did however, make the time to share my testimony with my kids. In some ways, it’s strange that I never thought to do this before. I’ve shared bits and pieces, but never just told my story all at once, as I have for others. It was brief, more tailored to their age, and over dinner. My 7 year old had a hard time paying attention. My 11 year old was keenly interested and asked many questions after. It a was beautiful and blessed experience for us all.

I also found an adorable FREE printable for the Bible Verses of the week here:
www.marydeandraws.com/2015/04/scripture-coloring-page-printables-as.html

​On to the next week and humility, the verse this week is “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord.” – from I Corinthians 1:31 and 2 Corinthians 10:17 which are references to Jeremiah 9:24.

Have you ever somewhat formally shared your testimony with your kid(s)?

1. Lisa Quintana says:

WOW! What a crazy, busy week you had! But you were able to share your story with your kiddos, even if one was a bit distracted. Your older one paid attention, and I am sure that had a big impact.
    I have two older children, and have shared more of my testimony with them as they were able to mature and understand it. I am sure you’ll have many more opportunities, too. Grace and high hopes, yes?

Thanks Lisa
      Yes – definitely grace & high hopes!
      And I can see the value in making my testimony being more nuanced as they get older and mature enough to benefit from more detail.
      It is certainly good to revisit – you never know when God is going to use it to speak to something going on in their own lives.

2. Anne Mackie Morelli says:

Christina, how often life is like this! Where we plan and schedule and have great intentions. And then those plans get interrupted by unexpected and unpredictable events and just life activities in general. But I think it is still better to have some plans and hold them loosely so we don’t get frustrated or feel defeated when they don’t work out. Because we can hold onto the fact that even when one part of them is achieved, like your sharing your testimony, it is more than you might have accomplished otherwise.

Hey Anne
      Yes – there is still value in the plans! If I hadn’t planned, nothing at all would have happened. And yes, it is good to hold loosely – that was the lesson for me this week.

We can make plans but God’s plans for us are already in place. Stressful times and unforeseen circumstances can cause our plans to change. Take deep breaths, pray and know God loves you. 🙂

Thanks Melissa!

4. Yvonne Morgan says:

Color me impressed! It is awesome the way you planned it all out, even if it did not happened as planned. I did not have such a defined way to share with my children. We took them on several mission trips with us when they were younger and I think through those, we shared our faith. Now with my grandchildren, I want to be more purposeful in sharing my faith with them. Thanks for your wonderful example.

5. Love this example, Christina! We should we sharing our faith more often with our kids!

6. Stephen De La Vega says:

Hi Christina. Oddly, I don’t think I have ever shared my full testimony with my kids. How is that possible? My oldest is 21! I have been intentional in some things, but not with that. I’ll have to see how my wife and I can do that during this season. Thank you for asking this significant question.

7. Chip Mattis says:

Well, Christina, I wish I could say I haven’t been there, but I have. The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry. That’s definitely where grace comes in. Good call.
    I really like the idea of sharing my testimony with my kids. I have been open about lots of my experiences growing up, but it’s been punctuated and just a bunch of little stories here and there. I’ll have to consider how to do this. Good suggestion!

8. Marcie Cramsey says:

Wow! What a Thanksgiving week you had! You’re amazing! 🙂 I have shared my testimony with my kids. It’s quite involved and some might say ‘colorful.’ When my children were young, I shared what was appropriate and then expanded it as they grew older. It’s just a blessing to share our journey with our kids. It makes following God more real to them. In my case, my life was a real mess, and it taught my children that no matter how far away we are from God, His grace is stronger and His forgiveness greater. By the way, I totally loved your plan! 🙂

9. Michelle says:

What a fantastic idea to share your testimony with your kids. My parents aren’t natural storytellers so as a kid I only got the information I asked for about their lives, but I think it’s really important for your kids to know what God has been doing in your life over all those years! And what kid thinks to ask? And what kid (or adult) doesn’t love a good story?