Making a Case For Christ In Parenting

Making a Case for Christ in Parenting

The reason behind almost everything I write – both in blogs and books is based upon the belief that Christ can best inform our parenting. I’ve been told, by more than one Christian, that Jesus has nothing to offer us in regards to parenting wisdom. “We are on our own with a few spare verses in the epistles and Proverbs. We can make our own way, Jesus need not apply.” I would argue that Christ is the first and best choice to inform parents what it means to be a good parent. He gives us everything we need to parent beautifully and to glorify God in the process.

There are many ways to relate to God, but Jesus taught us a new way. When told us how to pray, starting with “Our Father in Heaven,” he wasn’t just giving us words to recite, he was teaching us how to talk to God as a father (Matthew 6:9). The Father sent Jesus to bring us into a new relationship with Him. The work of Christ allowed us to be adopted as children “So you are no longer a bond-servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.” God ripped the temple veil, which separated humanity from closeness to God when Jesus died (Matthew 27: 51).

Through the risen Christ we enter into a new life and receive all the benefits of Jesus, including a clean slate, eternal life, and access to God as a Father. Through Christ, we can come to God with confidence, as children, no longer slaves (Hebrews 10:20, Galatians 4:7). By receiving Christ, we have been given the right to become God’s children (John 1:12). “And because you are children, God sent out the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, ‘Abba, Father!’” (Galatians 4:6). Through the Holy Spirit, we have union with Christ who “is the image of the invisible God… For all the fullness was pleased to dwell in him” (Colossians 1:15,19).

During his time on Earth, Jesus revealed the good Father to us. “No one has seen God at any time. The one and only Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, he has declared him” (John 1:18). As Jesus said of himself, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on, you know him, and have seen him…He who has seen me has seen the Father.” (John 14:6-7, 9).

Despite not having physical children, Christ’s life provides many examples for us as parents. Isaiah referred to Jesus as the “Everlasting Father” (Isaiah 9:6). He is not the person of the Father but is one with the Father (John 10:30). Jesus has revealed how a good Father relates to those in his care. Jesus often referred to his disciples as “little children” (Matthew 11:25, Mark 10:24, John 13:33) and treated them as such: initiating, providing, protecting, guiding, correcting, teaching, preparing, modeling, encouraging, and loving those entrusted to his care. He said, “I will not leave you as orphans” (John 14:18).

We are called to be like the good Father through Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 4:22-24, I John 2:6, Luke 11:13). God sent us the Holy Spirit, who continues to reveal the good Father to us. “These things God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God” (I Corinthians 2:10).  “All the treasures of wisdom and knowledge are hidden in Him” (Colossians 2:3). By his Word, his Life, and his Spirit we have access to all wisdom and knowledge, including for guidance in parenting.

Making a Case for Christ in Parenting

If you want to know more about what it means to parent in Christ, check out my books or blogs.

We all have the opportunity to share God’s love with others. I pray we share His love today and everyday.

We do.. and relying on Jesus is the best way!

2. Yvonne Morgan says:

Thanks for your insight. Jesus should be the center of every aspect of our lives including our parenting.

Definitely!

3. Annie Rim says:

Thank you for this reminder! I lean on Christ’s example as I parent – for patience, listening, understanding… I hope more and more parents remember this through your words!

I’m surprised that it’s an argument even, but it is..

4. Nancy E. Head says:

Great insights here. “Despite not having physical children, Christ’s life provides many examples for us as parents. Isaiah referred to Jesus as the “Everlasting Father” (Isaiah 9:6). He is not the person of the Father but is one with the Father (John 10:30).” God bless! Thanks for writing!

Thank you!

5. Emily | To Unearth says:

What a great point that Isaiah called Jesus the Everlasting Father. I actually just read that the other day and had to stop and think about it, as Jesus isn’t the person of the Father, as you pointed out. But He and the Father are one, which means Jesus is also an example of a perfect Father!

He really is! Through him we are all adopted right? Grafted in.
      He sure seemed very fatherly to the disciples.

6. Karen Friday says:

“Christ can best inform our parenting.” Amen! Love the title and love the article. It’s so true how Jesus taught us how to pray and interact with a good, heavenly Father. His Father and ours as His children. What better way to gain insight on parenting.

No better way! 🙂

7. Wendy L Macdonald says:

Dear Christina, I agree that Christ modeled perfectly how a parent should love (and not leave their children). Empathy is essential for healthy families. Empathy listens, loves, and doesn’t abandon the emotional needs of the beloved.
    Blessings ~ Wendy

Absolutely! Jesus was so empathetic! Even when someone was sick or a “sinner” he saw beyond that into their hearts and emotions. He knew their inner struggles and spoke life and healing.

8. Melinda Viergever Inman says:

I love this post! Thank you for sharing how Jesus’ work through his life, on the cross, and in his resurrection provides for us and parents us toward a right relationship with God. We can’t get away from the fact that Jesus is all of this, as you stated: Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. That covers it all!

I love all of Isaiah’s descriptions of Christ. He really does provide us the way and answers for all of life – especially the most important things – like parenting and discipleship. If we don’t see it, then we just have to keep seeking.

9. Lisa Quintana says:

I agree with you 100% that Christ is the best teacher of how we should parent. Heaven knows we certainly need His guidance, as I would have never been able to be a good mother without Him. Not only was He a good example biblically, but He invites us to a deep abiding relationship with Him through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. We can trust that the Spirit will guide us when we stay yielded to His leading. If only more parents would remember this, or begin to cultivate faith in their parenting lives, I think we’d have a happier culture of well loved kids.

Me too – every good thing that has come from me as a mom has come through Christ… him living in me and living out his word.
      I agree – our culture would have a lot more peace and love, if the love of Christ flowed freely through parents. Unfortunately, we’ve come to put our hopes all to often in formulas, self-proclaimed experts, and skewed ideologies.
      As He does though, I believe God is working to turn this around and it’s wonderful to see.